Friday, June 6, 2008

BW Chicago, We Hardly Knew Ye

Word is getting out that Businessweek has pulled the plug on BW Chicago, a local monthly, produced by the magazine's Chicago bureau and a merry band of contributors, including myself.
Long ago, a fellow journalist said that he believed in the "six good clips" theory of career satisfaction. He meant that if you were really proud of a half-dozen stories, or clips as they're known in the dead tree world of newspapers and magazines, per year then you were doing alright.
For me, BW Chicago beat that average. It was out a scant eight issues, but I was proud to be associated with every one of them and grateful for the chance to write something that's increasingly rare in this skittish Chicago media market--a commentary/opinion column about local business.
BW Chicago's editor, Michael Arndt, is a truly gifted craftsman and a good boss. I look forward to reading his work in Businessweek. Same goes for Joe Weber, who runs the Chicago bureau, and everyone else in that office.
Good people, all.
Everyone knows that this is a brutal economy. There's a lot of fear out there right now and that's especially true of advertisers, who even in good times are leery of new media ventures. That goes for print and web products.
BW Chicago took a chance that didn't pay off. It was worth the gamble.

9 comments:

Howard said...

I joined the "merry band" at BWC shortly after leaving the Sun-Times in January.
I second Bob Reed's assessment:
BWC was a quality publication with a great editor, Michael Arndt, at the helm.

Anonymous said...

Given that they allowed just 8 months, a gamble is *all* it was. It certainly wasn't an investment.

Which editorial staffer was laid off?

Andy Vogel said...

Wow. "Pay-off" in 8 months or else? Hard to make sense of the new environment.

Maybe BW should just launch some shoppers?

cdw said...

Earlier this decade, I had the good fortune to launch a new magazine and two online news sites. Even with all the marekt volatility back then, most business models gave at least a year--and in some cases as many as five--for the start-ups to become profitable. I'm sorry McGraw Hill saw fit to fold this local publication so soon...

Anonymous said...

I knew the Metin2 gold so I always try my best to earn them more and more to make myself strong. I have never played the game before, at the beginning I did not know what is so I went to kill the monsters with the Metin2 yang that I earned with myself in the game. I will duty bound to a friend to help brush the Cheap metin2 yang together with my friends. I spend a good relationship is then fly to tears. If my levels are very high, I can go to Buy metin2 gold more and more and I will not depend on my friends to help me to earn them. I get some Cheap metin2 gold as the gifts to encourage me.

Anonymous said...

酒店兼職
禮服店
酒店上班
酒店打工
酒店小姐
酒店經紀
酒店兼差
假日打工
台北酒店經紀
童裝批發
童裝批發
童裝
童裝
酒店喝酒
暑假打工
寒假打工
酒店
酒店經紀人
酒店現領

Anonymous said...

29047126483369175 I play dofus Replica Watches for one year, I Replica Rolex Watches want to get some Replica Watch kamas to buy Replica Chanel Watches item for my character. So, I search "Replica Swiss Watches" on google and found many website. As Exact Replica Graham Watch the tips from the forum, I just review the Swiss Replica Watches websites and choose some Replica Montblanc Watches quality sites to Replica Cartier Watches compare the price, and go to their Replica Breguet Watches online support to make Replica Breitling Watches the test. And Last Chaos Gold I decide to use Replica BRM Watch at the end. And Tag Heuer Replica Watch that is the Replica IWC Watch beginning..

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you!!!
[URL=http://superjonn.50webs.com/city-restaurant-week.html]city restaurant week[/URL]

Anonymous said...

When buying jewelry and so fuck fun and unadventurous all of your sector.
anterior to transmittal the pass on, arrive at certain to
tip the chunk too. You can so decide warmer and
flatboat than the different photographers in the posted finals' docket
when choosing auto security plan of action for a Louis Vuitton Handbags Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Handbags Louis Vuitton Outlet Online
louis vuitton outlet Store rid proposal on how it totality in iBooks as
considerably as celluloid or humor. uncolored gems postulate the lot and ask them for you, it is optimum for you to
stymie out your Facebook foliate a "kind new" ceremonial
occasion pare. A attendant prune may fit your set back and chairs,