Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Surprise! This Bank Refuses Fed Bailout

The way major financial institutions are feasting on taxpayer-backed bailouts, you'd think every bank in this country has on the feed bag.
Not true.
Just north of Chicago, dwelling in the People's Republic of Evanston, is First Bank & Trust -- a 13-year-old community lender that doesn’t want any part of the U.S. government’s $700 billion bank bailout or, for that matter, any subsequent rescue plans.
You see, First Bank & Trust won't do business that way.
Says Robert R. Yohanan, CEO and one of the bank's founders: “We don’t need the money. More important, we don’t want the government as a partner.”
That refreshing approach makes First Bank & Trust a rarity in these dismal economic days.
First, it's a healthy institution that hasn't forsaken one of the main skills of successful banking: managing risk. For example a few years ago, First Bank & Trust shrewdly determined the home mortgage market was spinning out of control and greatly limited making real estate investments thus avoiding big trouble.
Secondly, this bank isn't looking to game the system by profiting from the government-backed bailout.
Believe me, one of the yet untold stories of this massive taxpayer-funded rescue is how many healthy lenders are grabbing for the government gold because it's a source of cheap and ready capital. Recently, one bank industry analyst told me that viable banks are under pressure from their institutional shareholders to take advantage of the bailout funding even if the lender doesn't need the cash cushion.
First Bank & Trust's management has a different approach.
It would rather fund bank operations through traditional means, like customer deposits, while also making a profit on sound loans. Moreover, it cringes at the prospect of selling even a slice of itself to the government, which usually gets preferred stock from any lender participating in the bailout.
"Who knows what is to come? They seem to be writing laws as they go along." says CEO Yohanan, who I spoke to while researching a story for Chicago magazine.
First Bank & Trust hasn't made a big deal out of the decision to go it alone.
For the most part, the bank's marketing initiatives travel more along the lines of neighborhood pumpkin carving contests. And to the best of my knowledge, the only mention of its bailout stance was made in a letter to the editor printed in a free local newspaper, which is where I learned of the "No Bailout Here" decision.
Yes, some critics will claim that First Bank & Trust shouldn't be held up as some shining example of restraint and fair play. They'll note this is a very small, conservative bank that caters to a niche of area business owners or operators and is surrounded by a fairly affluent depositor base. In addition, it doesn't provide the sweep of services and loans like JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America or other mega-banks and doesn't bear their heavy community reinvestment burdens.
All that may be true.
Still, I feel better knowing there's at least one bank out there not looking to score a free lunch.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://erazadubog.1accesshost.com/colaci.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Gucci
Louis Vuitton
Christian Louboutin

Anonymous said...

To be a upright charitable being is to procure a philanthropic of openness to the world, an cleverness to trusteeship uncertain things beyond your own pilot, that can govern you to be shattered in hugely outermost circumstances for which you were not to blame. That says something very impressive about the prerequisite of the principled compulsion: that it is based on a conviction in the up in the air and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a weed than like a jewel, something kind of feeble, but whose mere special attraction is inseparable from that fragility.

Anonymous said...

Advice in old age is foolish; for what can be more absurd than to increase our provisions for the road the nearer we approach to our journey's end.
[url=http://www.flukiest.com/b/aquamas584]Watches[/url]
Watches

Putri Adiratnaa said...



Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Pedro That Save My Family From Financial Bondage

Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Pedro, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day I shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Pedro. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to the help of Mr, Pedro for giving me a meaning to life when I had lost all hope. If you are currently seeking loan assistance, you can contact them via: { pedroloanss@gmail.com WhatsApp+1 863 231 0632 }