Thursday, December 4, 2008

Advice To Team Obama: Keep FDIC's Bair

Now comes word that Timothy Geithner, President-elect Barack Obama’s choice for U.S. Treasury Secretary, is trying to push Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Chairman Sheila Bair out of office. So much for Obama's "team of rivals" governing philosophy.
Apparently, Geithner worries that Bair is not a team player, according to Bloomberg Business News, which broke the story.
Some infighting is considered good sport, even in the Obama era. But pushing out Bair is not a wise, nor politically astute, decision. Before things get out of hand, Obama's camp needs to rethink this one and back off.
That's because dumping Bair--a federal regulator who is serving the public well during this sorry economic passage--will send out a cruel message which states: The U.S. Treasury remains committed to saving Wall Street's hide but won't be a champion of ailing home owners on Main Street U.S.A.
Indeed, Bair is an outspoken advocate for directly attacking the housing crisis. For example, after taking over IndyMac Bank, Bair's FDIC launched a plan to help troubled borrowers rework mortgages and make them more affordable.
Yes, there are some kinks in this initiative, but overall the plan is considered a blueprint for providing needed relief to those facing foreclosure.
A Republican appointment, Bair isn't shy about openly taking on the GOP's Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson and his muddled bailout effort. From the outset, she pointedly questioned Paulson's ad hoc strategy, which bounced around from buying troubled bank assets to infusing capital directly into banks without any oversight, structure or conditions.
Had Paulson paid heed to Bair's advice, the major banks--which have already scarfed up over $250 billion in taxpayer-backed funds and guarantees--would now be lending a cut of that cash haul to businesses and consumers. Instead, they are using our money to plug gaps in their balance sheets and buy other banks.
And during one of the darkest moments of the economic meltdown, Bair successfully pushed for Congress to temporarily expand the FDIC safety net, raising the insured deposit rate to $250,000 per account from $100,000. That move boosted depositor confidence and likely blunted a number of nasty bank runs.
Does Bair have critics? You bet.
She's come under fire for pushing the sale of Wachovia Bank to Wells Fargo, after the FDIC paved the way for an agreement that allowed Citigroup to buy Wachovia. At the time, Citi argued that the FDIC had gone back on its word.
Yeah, it probably did. Still, it's highly problematic that Citi could have successfully acquired Wachovia even with government welfare. Remember, this is the same Citi that recently went back for a second helping of government bailout money because it was headed for the brink. So, it looks as if Bair made the right course correction, saving taxpayers big money along the way.
Technically, Bair still has a few years left of her five-year appointment. But a critical Treasury Secretary and unsupportive President could make her remaining years pretty miserable.
One of the concerns about proposed Treasury Secretary Geithner, who runs the New York Federal Reserve Bank, is he's very close to the giant banking powers and Wall St. Sort of a Hank Paulson-type but with more hair. And you'd hate to think that since Bair was considered a candidate for Treasury Secretary that Geithner wants her out of the way.
Let's hope not. We can't afford more of the same nonsense.
But Geithner can confound the critics--and live up to his boss' desire to forge a government from a knowledgeable "team of rivals"-- by putting aside his reservations and working with Sheila Bair.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!

weddingdresses said...

Are you preparing Christmas gifts for your loves ,family and friends now ?
Maybe you can choose us , we always provide the excellent quality products and best after-sale service ,

And recently we have a active promotions :Happy Shopping at Dec,
the content of preference:
10%~15% discount
a Christmas gift
Free shipping!

we are accept paypal ,credit card and western union for payment .
New arrival :Power Balance
winter boots
nike womens boots
power balance bracelet
Silly Bands
Reebok Easytone
reebok zigtech
efx bracelet
Moncler Jackets

Penis Enlargement Pills said...

nice posting keep blogging,....
i am very new in blogging, please and kindly visit my site,..
thanks a lot...♥♥♥♥

Replica iPhone Online said...

Replica Watches OnlineGood quality Replica watches online store, brands including Rolex, Omega, Breitling, IWC and other famous replica products.

Nike mercurial soccer cleats said...

To introduce the latest nike.adidas soccer shoes. Hope you will enjoy itNike mercurial soccer cleats

Selfless said...

Maxed all traits in my Hero before RED maplestory2 patch. Once, I thought it functions on Gollux, but only him. I am going to need to test . I just do half damage on all finish game supervisors even with 10% elemental resistance from Insight, Maplestory m mesos for sale therefore I think this stat is bugged.And too, is the 10% elemental resistance discount 10 percent of the 50% damage reduction hence we bargain 45 percent less damage than normal boss OR we cope 40% less than normal boss? o.O

When the stat functions correctly this could benefit most courses with maximum insight. Classes such as certain knight courses that are cygnus can ignore 100% elemental resistance and mage explorers! Additionally, maplestory2 mesos paladin article RED and pre-nerf had 100 percent too. I want to understand whether this component of trait is really bugged or just works on specific bosses. I am able to state it doesnt work on Root Abyss Magnus and more that are certain.

Putri Adiratnaa said...



Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Pedro That Save My Family From Financial Bondage

Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Pedro, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day I shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Pedro. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to the help of Mr, Pedro for giving me a meaning to life when I had lost all hope. If you are currently seeking loan assistance, you can contact them via: { pedroloanss@gmail.com WhatsApp+1 863 231 0632 }